The Rev William Cockran arrived in the Red River Settlement from England in 1825. By 1828, he was holding services in private homes in the area then known as Grand Rapids. A wooden church that measured 50 x 22 feet was built in 1831 and dedicated on May 7, 1832. By 1844, the church was already too small for the growing congregation, and plans were made to build a larger, stone church. The Rev. John Smithhurst laid the cornerstone on 4 July 1845. Local material and volunteer labour was used for a good part of the construction. Cockran himself did a lot of the manual labour, although he took a temporary leave of absence halfway through the construction.
Rev Robert James 1846 – 1852