Our cemeteries at both St. Andrew’s Church and St. Matthew’s Church continue to be available for traditional casket and ash internments. At St. Andrew’s Church, we also have a beautiful columbarium for ash internments. Please contact Randy Pastetnik, Cemetery Superintendent, for details.
We have a list of names for people in unmarked graves. Anybody wanting to find out if their relative was buried in the cemetery, please also contact Randy Pastetnik.
The cemetery surrounding the St. Andrew’s church is steeped in Manitoba’s history. The hardships of plagues such as influenza, diphtheria, typhoid and tuberculosis are revealed as the inscriptions on the tombstones in the older part of the cemetery are read.
Many people who played a role in the Red River Settlement and Manitoba’s history are found in the cemetery. These people include:
ArchDeacon Cockran, first missionary and founder of the church;
E.H.G.G. Hay, the first leader of Manitoba’s Official Opposition Party in 1870;
Alexander Christie, Chief Factor of the Hudson Bay Company;
Alexander Lillie, who operated the first successful experimental farm at Lower Fort Garry;
Matilda Davis, who ran the Miss Davis School for daughters of Hudson Bay Company officials, 2 kilometres south of St. Andrew’s on the Red at Liss Road; and
Captain William Kennedy, Arctic Explorer who searched for Sir John Franklin’s lost expedition.